From 2019, Council has been undertaking strategic planning work required by the NSW Government’s Greater Sydney Region Plan, North District Plan and the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 for the preparation of the following:
- Local Strategic Planning Statement
- Local Housing Strategy
- Community Participation Plan
LOCAL STRATEGIC PLANNING STATEMENT
The Mosman Local Strategic Planning Statement (MLSPS) was made by Council in March 2020 to meet the requirements of section 3.9 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
The MLSPS sets out the Council’s 20-year vision for land use planning in Mosman, along with a suite of planning priorities and actions relating to housing, local centres, infrastructure and the environment. It builds upon the vision for Mosman expressed in Council’s Community Strategic Plan MOSPLAN 2018-2028, identifying that as Mosman grows and changes to meet community needs, a key priority for Council will be to maintain the high levels of environmental amenity, liveability and landscape quality that characterise the municipality.
The MLSPS was publicly exhibited during June-August 2019, endorsed by Council on 3 December 2019, and supported by the Greater Sydney Commission on 4 March 2020.
Past blog posts on this project can be found below:
- 30 July 2019 : Public meeting on land use planning proves highly popular
- 15 August 2019 : Tremendous Response to Public Exhibition of Mosman’s Draft Local Strategic Planning Statement
- 28 November 2019 : Draft Local Strategic Planning Statement to be considered by Council on 3 December 2019
- 12 December 2019 : Council endorses draft Local Strategic Planning Statement
- 23 March 2020 : Council makes Mosman Local Strategic Planning Statement
For background information about the draft Mosman LSPS, visit Council’s consultation web page.
LOCAL HOUSING STRATEGY
Council has prepared the draft Mosman Local Housing Strategy (MLHS) to set out a clear plan for housing in Mosman over the next 20 years to meet anticipated demand. Mosman’s population is projected to increase by 1,370 people to a population of 31,630 people by 2041, with an increasing proportion of older residents and more people living alone.
The draft MLHS considers the housing needs of Mosman’s current and future population, the right locations for additional housing to meet anticipated demand, and the delivery of housing supply targets set by Greater Sydney Commission. It is a requirement that all NSW councils prepare a local housing strategy to give effect to actions in the Greater Sydney Commission’s Greater Sydney Region Plan and North District Plan.
The draft MLHS was endorsed at the Council Meeting on 4 August 2020 for public exhibition, and consultation occurred from 17 August until 27 September 2020. A report on the draft Strategy was considered at the Council Meeting held on 10 November 2020, and the MLHS was adopted. It was subsequently submitted to the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment for approval.
Read our latest blog post about this project:
- 12 November 2020: Council adopts Housing Strategy
- 5 November 2020 : Draft Housing Strategy to 10 November Council Meeting
- 17 August 2020 : On Exhibition: Draft Mosman Local Housing Strategy
COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION PLAN
The Mosman Community Participation Plan (MCPP) was adopted by Council at its meeting on 12 November 2019, with minor amendments. The plan explains how and when Council will undertake community participation when exercising its planning functions, in particular relating to:
- Development applications
- Local strategic planning statements
- Amendments to the local environmental plan
- Draft development control plans
- Draft contribution plans
The draft MCPP was reported to the Council Meeting held on 6 August 2019, and publicly exhibited during the period 29 August to 26 September 2019.