Overall, the Opportunities and Needs Analysis undertaken by HBO+EMTB found that:
1. There are considerable opportunities to improve and activate the public domain space on the Civic Centre site with cafes, restaurants and walkways, and to provide a substantial increase in car parking underground.
2. There are opportunities to improve the administration building, library and art gallery. Currently these facilities do not meet Council’s operational requirements in that buildings are inefficiently planned and fail to meet community expectations.
3. The library is a highly utilised community facility receiving in excess of 200,000 visitations per annum, however it is at maximum capacity and going forward will not meet population based benchmark standards for service levels developed by the State Library of NSW.
4. The administration building endeavours to present as a multipurpose facility incorporating Seniors’ and Meals on Wheels functions and general administration, but fails to deliver the standard of accommodation commensurate with diverse user group expectations.
5. The efficiency and functionality of the Art Gallery would be significantly enhanced if the existing floor area was provided on a single level. However whether the gallery expands to the recommended standard of Museum and Galleries NSW is directly related to the level of investment the community is prepared to make in this facility.