What happened to the Census data you provided last year?
In late June, the Australian Bureau of Statistics released their first batch of data from the 2016 Census. The ABS will release further data from the census throughout the second half of 2017.
Why is the Census Important?
The data gathered in the Census is critical to this country. It helps inform decision and policy making about services and infrastructure. Without the evidence basis that this data provides, it is harder for governments to plan ahead. Accurate census data is particularly important when considering issues such as provision of child care, schools, dwelling mix, provision of open space and other infrastructure services.
Interesting Trends from Census Data – Mosman
The Urban Planning team had a browse through the recent data release and identified a few interesting trends in Mosman. Most notably was the pronounced ageing in the population. Other trends identified between 2011 and 2016 include:
- % of houses in Mosman fell (39 to 35.5%)
- % of apartments in Mosman rose (48 to 51.7%)
- % of households that have no car fell (11.7 to 10.1%)
- % of households with more than three cars rose (9.1 to 10.4%)
- % of lone households fell (29.2 to 27.4%)
- % of couples-with-children households rose (27.8 to 29.6%)
- % of dwellings with 4+ bedrooms rose (26 to 27.4%)
- % of dwellings with 2 and 3 bedrooms fell (31.6 to 30% & 25.6 to 24.3%)
Analysis of Census 2016 – Mosman LGA
Profile ID is a service that collates and analyses demographic data in a format that is easy to interpret. As they update their webpage for Mosman with the latest Census data they are marking these updated pages with a green dot.
How will we use this data?
This data will be used to develop strategic land-use plans, plan for future residential needs, predict the level of demand in the local housing market and increase awareness about demographic change. This information provides an insight on how Mosman is changing and what services would be in demand in the future.