At the Council Meeting on 3 May 2016, Council adopted the Mosman Planning Agreements Policy . This policy sets out the process for entering into a Planning Agreement with Council under section 93F of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, to ensure transparency, probity, certainty of roles and process. It applies to any and all requests made by Developers to enter into a Planning Agreement with Council, and to all Planning Agreements entered into in Mosman.
What Is A Planning Agreement?
The regime for Planning Agreements was introduced by the NSW Government in 2005. It is set by Part 4, Division 6, Subdivision 2 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (the Act), and Part 4, Division 1A of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.
A Planning Agreement is a voluntary agreement or other arrangement under section 93F of the Act between one or more planning authorities (i.e. Council) and a person (developer) under which the developer agrees to make a development contribution(s) towards a public purpose.
The contribution may be:
- the dedication of land,
- payment of a monetary contribution,
- provision of a material public benefit, or
- any combination of these.
A public purpose includes:
- the provision of (or the recoupment of the cost of providing, or the funding of recurrent expenditure relating to the provision of):
- public amenities or public services (not water supply or sewerage services),
- affordable housing,
- transport or other infrastructure relating to land,
- the monitoring of the planning impacts of development,
- the conservation or enhancement of the natural environment. A Planning Agreement is made in conjunction with the proposed development of land, either with a development application or planning proposal (i.e. amendment to a council’s local environmental plan).
Making A Request To Council To Enter Into A Planning Agreement
The first step is to read and understand the Mosman Planning Agreements Policy, then contact Council’s Duty Planner on 9978 4214 to discuss your proposal.
Once a formal request in writing is submitted to Council to enter into a Planning Agreement, this will be reported to Council’s Urban Planning Committee, then to a Council Meeting for consideration.
If Council resolves to proceed with entering into a Planning Agreement, the process outlined in the Mosman Planning Agreements Policy will be followed in the negotiation of the Agreement. This will include the submission of a standard form of Planning Agreement and Explanatory Note, and public notification and consideration of any submissions received.
Enquiries to Council’s Urban Planning Team on 9978 4058.