Using the Codes SEPP – What can you do?

The Codes SEPP officially known as State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008  is planning legislation which includes a number of Codes that allow for certain types of specified development to be undertaken without the need for Council approval as either Exempt Development or approved under a fast track approval system known as Complying Development, if the relevant development standards are met.

The NSW Department of Planning and Environment has produced information brochures on Exempt and Complying Development:

Information Brochures for Exempt Development

Information Brochures for Complying Development 

Complying Development Certificates (CDC) are issued prior to the work commencing by an accredited certifier.  To find an accredited certifier, please refer to the NSW Building Professionals Board web site:

2 Responses to Using the Codes SEPP – What can you do?
  1. John Ludlow
    04/03/2016 at 2:48 pm

    I wish to build a Gazebo in the rear garden of my house in Abbey St Leura in the Blue Mountains. How can I find out whether or not it is in Zones RU1 to RU 6 or ‘Any Other’ which has different Development Standards?


Leave a Reply

Please note our moderation policy